Inert Normandy Campaign 4th Infantry Fired .50 Caliber Bullet

Inert Normandy Campaign 4th Infantry Fired .50 Caliber Bullet

30.00

The Browning M2 machine gun was the most widely used weapon on the American bomber and fighter planes of WWII. Due to the high demand of ammunition for this gun, many companies began producing the .50 caliber round to keep the supply available. The .50 caliber round is 5.5" (140mm) long with seated bullet. The casing alone is just under 4" (100mm) long. The primer end of the casing where the headstamp is located is 0.75" (19mm) diameter. The bullet is typically 2.25" (55mm) long with 0.75" (19mm) seated into the casing. The bullet diameter is 0.50". 

History of the .50 cal cartridge during WWII:

Production of small arms ammunition began on March 9, 1942, and the plant remained in production for 42 months. Between 1942 and 1945. The work force reached its peak in July 1943, when employment totaled about 26,000 people, more than half of whom were women. Total World War II production exceeded 4 billion rounds; 2.2 billion rounds of .30 cal and 2 billion rounds of .50 cal cartridges. 

This inert shell was brought back by 4th Infantry CPL. William Jasko. William Jasko of Mountainside New Jersey served his country during WWII in the 4th Infantry Division and was a member of one of the first US infantry units to attack the German on Utah Beach during the D-Day invasion. Jasko later went on to serve in operations throughout Northern France as well as the liberation of Paris against the Nazis.

Quantity:
Add To Cart