66th Infantry Division Soldier Bring Back Russian Soviet Red Army Wrist Compass

66th Infantry Division Soldier Bring Back Russian Soviet Red Army Wrist Compass

164.99

A Russian military wrist compass which is dated 1940 on the bottom. Inside the case it has the words “MACTEPCKNE Ay PKKA”. PKKA is the Russian abbreviation for The Red Army. The compass shows lots of wear during its time and is not in working order, however is in reasonably good condition. There has been something removed from the side of the case (possibly a small hinge for a cover to protect the glass. The compass has a glass face & a silvered brass body. The base appears to be made from a Bakelite type material. The compass measures approximately 50cm in diameter. This ‘Russian Soviet Red Army Soldier's Wrist Compass’ was brought back by a veteran of the 66th Infantry Division during WWII by the name of John I. Binns (35765568).

History of the 66th Infantry Division:

Activated 15 April 1943, the division trained at Camp Blanding, Florida, and was later transferred to Camp Robinson, Arkansas and then later to Camp Rucker, Alabama before being shipped overseas to England on 26 November 1944. They trained and prepared for deployment until 24 December 1944, then transferred to Southampton before crossing the English Channel to Cherbourg, France. Two Belgian transport vessels, the Cheshire and Leopoldville carried the 66th across the English Channel. However, only 5 miles from the port of Cherbourg, the Leopoldville was torpedoed by a German U-Boat and sunk, taking the lives of 14 officers and 748 enlisted soldiers. The U.S. Navy later announced the sinking of the Leopoldville to be the second-largest loss of life from the sinking of a troop transport ship in the entire European Theater.

Primarily involved with destroying the German troops left behind by the retreat from Northern France, the 66th Infantry Division relieved the 94th Infantry Division of control of the Brittany-Loire area on 29 December 1944, and collaborated with French forces as well. The 66th carried out its objective by harassing German installations, limited objective attacks, and running reconnaissance missions to gather intelligence. The use of artillery shelling many German positions also played a major part in the advancement of the 66th through the region. In total, there were about 100,000 German soldiers that remained in the ports of Lorient, St. Nazaire, Bordeaux and La Rochelle. Notably, a heavy German attack near La Croix was repulsed on 16 April 1945 and several strongly fortified enemy positions were taken from 19 to 29 April 1945 in a series of counterattacks. These battles played a pivotal role in ending the Nazi occupation of Northern France. The remaining German soldiers surrendered to 66th Infantry Division officers and French officials in a small cafe near Cordemais on 8 May 1945.

Ordered to change to an occupational-oriented mission 14 May 1945, the 66th made a 700-mile trek into Germany where the Black Panthers occupied 2400 square miles of territory and the city of Koblenz. As a security force, the division was charged with establishment of a military government and control of all German affairs. Tasks included the dischargement of prisoners of war, inventorying of ammunition and supplies, and organizing civilians. After spending time in Germany, the 66th returned to the French coast to aid with the allied withdrawal from the European Theater. During this time, the division was changed by the beginning of the inactivation process, until it returned to the U.S. and formally inactivated, sailing for home 27 October 1945.

Add To Cart